Friday, July 31, 2009

How do I load Linux (which one?) that I downloaded from the internet onto a new computer?

Do I load Linux on to a disk and boot from that disk.

How do I load Linux (which one?) that I downloaded from the internet onto a new computer?
Just download a Knoppix or Kubuntu ISO image, burn it to a cd or dvd and boot from that cd or dvd.


Make sure you use the 'burn image' when you burn the cd or dvd. Copying the file to the cd does NOT work - you will not be able to boot from that cd.
Reply:Depends on which one you downloaded, but thats the usual method, yeah. Back in the day I downloaded Redhat and thats what I did. Use software like Nero or something to burn the iso to a disk, and then boot from the cd. I think Redhat charges money now, though, so you're probably using some other distro.


No comments:

Post a Comment