Friday, July 31, 2009

How do I access my hard drive from a LiveCD of Feather Linux?

I am trying to access a hard drive which will not boot with Windows XP. I've given up on loading it normally, so instead I'm trying a LiveCD of Feather Linux. Could someone give me step-by-step directions as to how to access the drive?


I don't normally use Linux, so assume I don't know how to do anything besides point and click.

How do I access my hard drive from a LiveCD of Feather Linux?
If you just want to access your files and nothing else:





1) First you need to be the superuser. Go to a terminal and type "su - ". That will make you root.





2) Type "fdisk -l" (that's a lowercase L, not an uppercase i) to see your partitions. You may only have one, but if there are multiple partitions you will need to determine which one is your Windows partition (the one with an * is your boot partition).





3) Then you need to make a directory to mount your Windows partition in... type "mkdir windows".





4) Then you need to actually mount the drive. Type "mount /dev/sda1 windows", where sda1 is the name of the drive you found in step 1 that contains your Windows partition. Your Windows files should now be in windows.





You will have read-only permissions to the Windows partition. You can type "man mount" to show a full description of the mount command and its options.





Feel free to contact me if you need help.
Reply:It would take more time than Y!Answers could fit in!


Instead, go to the link below and read the article there - that should point you in the right direction.


No comments:

Post a Comment