Monday, May 24, 2010

How do i restore somthing i deleted in linux?

i was in my music player in ubuntu linux and i deleted 5 music tracks tat i want back. How do i restore them?

How do i restore somthing i deleted in linux?
1) Does your music catalog application have a


"trash bin" that you can restore from?





2) Did you delete the files using a GUI which placed


them into a "trash bin" on your desk top? If so,


you can probably restore them.





3) If you deleted them with the "rm" command,


then they're gone.
Reply:The other responder is pretty much correct. However, I recall having read about utilities to try and recover files that had been erased (not simply put in the recoverable trash bin). The linux file system is not convenient for such efforts. You need to get friendly with google and see if you can find information on "recovering deleted files linux". The longer you wait to do so, the less likely you will succeed.





Now, like I said, I remember having read about it, but I have never tried, so don't complain if I am wrong (faulty memory), or you don't succeed. But I do recall reading about it, because I knew from other info that it is "not possible", so the possibility stuck in my mind.


No comments:

Post a Comment