Monday, May 24, 2010

Anyone know how to set up an Internet connection in Linux?

My computer has two operating systems on it, Windows XP and Fedora Core 4. I recently installed a dialup modem, which works perfectly fine in Windows. I just can't seem to get it to work in Fedora. When I try to set it up, Fedora probes for it automatically, like it's supposed to, which works fine. When I go to establish the connection, however, it comes up with something like "Unable to initialize modem with error 2". I'd like to eventually convert totally over to Linux, but that's not going to happen until I get a working internet connection in Fedora Core. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong, and how to set it up right?

Anyone know how to set up an Internet connection in Linux?
I guess it's an internal winmodem, which don't always work well with Linux, this is down to the manufacturers making it difficult, your easiest answer would be to get a serial modem which are much better than winmodems and work with linux. But you may find an answer to setting up your modem on:


www.justlinux.com


you'll have to need to register and make sure when you post your question you give as much detail as you can like the make, model %26amp; if possible the chipset in your modem.
Reply:Most hardware is optimized for Windows and may not work well with Linux (I have your same setup, FC4 and all, and my wireless card won't work in Linux). I'm not a linux expert, but this would be my guess if your modem is not OEM.


No comments:

Post a Comment