Sunday, August 2, 2009

How do I download and install programs on linux?

I have ubuntu and is new to linux. So I would like to know how to install my downloaded programs on linux.





First I download the file





Then I click open





Then it opens some window with the file in it.





I click on the file and it opens another window called open files.





Then I tryed extracting but it just brought me back to the files window.





How do I install programs on linux? Thanks

How do I download and install programs on linux?
http://monkeyblog.org/ubuntu/installing/





Check tha above link to install program in ubuntu.





Program in linux are avaliable in many format like


1%26gt;source format (i.e. programming lanaguage), you have to complie to install it. Not for newbie like you. itis compress format like tar, .gz etc. This i think you are clicking, which open new windows to show extracted files etc.





2%26gt; .deb, .rpm format, it is format for debian or redhat linux which can installed by their package manager





3%26gt;the most easy and best method for beginner is to use ubuntu package manager, search for program , let it download and then install.





System → Administration → Synaptic Package Manager
Reply:The easiest way is to use the "Synaptic package manager", it installs all the dependencies for you. Also, you want to install "Automatix" it gives you access to several non free applications for linux, I wrote a tutorial for installing it in ubuntu.


http://www.hollandpcservice.com/forum/sh...

wild flowers

No comments:

Post a Comment