Sunday, August 2, 2009

How can I sync the Linux system password and the Samba password?

I have a Linux server to act as a file server for Windows clients. It is running Debian 3.1rc4 and Samba.





I've created the users system accounts, their home folder, etc, all fine, and also the samba sharing system. I can connect to it and its running ok, but I would like to keep sync`ed the linux system user pass and the samba pass, so that when I change the SYS pwd, the Samba be updated automatically.





I've read about it, mostly of people trying the oposite: when the Samba pwd gets changed, the sys its updated, but it seems to be a little more complicated, so the first case would be just fine.





I also don't wanna turn the linux box into a PDC, or make a domain, using a central DB system for user management and do the job. Just want to keep the files sync without one of these DB solutions, keeping it as simple as possible.





I think that's possible, but dont know if it is so simple, without creating a DB or using external tools.





Thanks in advance.

How can I sync the Linux system password and the Samba password?
Hopefully, Samba is configured with PAM. If so, follow the instructions below.





Make sure this is set in your smb.conf.


=======


unix password sync = true


pam password sync = true


=======





Navigate to /etc/pam.d/system-auth and add this after the "pam_cracklib.so" line.





=======


password required /lib/security/pam_smbpass.so nullok use_authtok try_first_pass


=======
Reply:You'll more than likely have to use a module.





Check out the smbk5pwd module.


No comments:

Post a Comment